How to Pack a Carry-On Like an Expert

With summer travel at its peak, I thought it might be time to organize some luggage. It is a very exciting time for you, whether you are traveling overseas, or across the state.  If you are flying, there might be more restrictions than if you are driving. Make sure to check with the airline you are traveling with before packing.

One of the first things you should do is look up the weather for your destination(s), most weather apps will let you search for other areas, and will be able to give you a 7-10 day forecast. This trip pre-check is particularly helpful when traveling between several countries and with the variances in luggage allowances, this planning will help you pack lighter.

With all of your clothes, you will want to roll them, rolling your clothes and undies takes up less space than folding them, and you will notice it looks like you have packed relatively less this way.

Less is more when traveling!

Make a check list and carry it with you so that you don’t forget anything, like your electronic chargers, passport, or credit cards.  Make sure you carry these items with you at all times.  These would be considered essential items.  If you lose your luggage, these items could definitely get you out of a bind.

When it comes to your toiletries, I would just buy them wherever you are going, unless you have must take items.  It is difficult to pack your toiletries when flying, and makes getting through the check-in line a longer venture.  Most places you go will have somewhere to buy your hair products, so there is no need to take up space in your carry-on.

Here is a great check-list provided by coralsandcognacs.com.

Packing your suitcase is similar to planning the layout of a room in your house.  You will need to thoroughly think everything through before beginning.  You will want to see exactly everything that will be going in your suitcase.  Have an idea if you need to start eliminating items right off the bat.

Isolation If you are one of the millions of travelers that over pack, this is probably going to be the hardest part for you… If you are an under packer, this might also pose a problem for you also. Make sure you choose clothing with a clear idea of where you are going, what the weather will be, and then pack with a color theme.  By packing this way, it gives you more choices to interchange your clothing choices. Blacks, Whites, Greys so that you can mix and match as many outfits as possible. This will make your travel life much easier.

Remember! Less is More!

Contain I personally would start with the bulkiest items first, it is probably safe to say that you will only see your laptop at the business meeting, not before or after. Consider using clear bags when packing, so that security will be able to see everything in your carry-on easier, making going through customs much easier.  All your toiletries should be in leak-proof, travel sized containers, and keep them in separate containers.  Organizing them into separate bags by their section i.e, showering: toothbrush, hair care, brushes, gel, hair accessories.  Keep your checklist updated and tucked inside, so that you do not go off and leave anything behind.

Taking all of these travel organizing tips into consideration, will leave you with no anxiety while traveling.  Everything will have its own spot in your suitcase, and it will all be easy to find.  By using the checklists, you will find traveling a breeze, and you will have more time to enjoy your trip.

After you are back home, and before you sit down to catch up on your piles of mail or emails, make sure you unpack every item from your suitcase.  If not, it will not get done for weeks.

You will find that you will use these tips every time you travel!

Good Luck and Happy Traveling!

Comments

1. Shannon Sawicki says:

Good tips here, we are starting to plan for a 3-4 week European vacation next year so i need all the packing tips i can get.

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

Oh wow! Sounds like so much fun!

2. hal says:

this is such a great help – i am the WORST at packing – i have a bad habit of taking everything but the kitchen sink & don’t end up using half of it!

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

That is exactly how I USED to be! Thank you!

3. Lol I can never manage to apply rule “Less is more” when I travel. I pack so many things everytime.

4. I always have a problem when I pack, every luggage seems small for me. These are some great tips that I think will help!

5. sian says:

I always have to find myself a list to pack my bags for holiday! Now airlines charge for suitcases I have managed to pack clothes for a week in a carry on!

6. Ashley says:

When I was a little kid my sister would always pack for me when we went camping. I was always the worst! Thanks for the tips, I shall put them to use soon!

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

Glad I could help! Good luck!

7. the sophia diaries says:

less is absolutely more! still, I get into a bad habit of over packing xD

Yes I know exactly what you mean! 🙂

8. Shell says:

LOVE these tips so much because we fly SO much!!

9. Ashish says:

I’m really bad at packing carry on’s. But I always feel like I need to overpack because “just in case” haha

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

It’s okay Ashish, I am a “just in case” person also! Thank you!

10. Tasha says:

It is funny because no matter how much I try to plan out details on what to take with me; I always end up doing everything at the last minute. Needless to say I am always forgetting something.

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

Better get a list started ahead of time Tasha! 😉 Thank you!

11. Vinil says:

I am an over packer. I usually pack more than I need. The next time I travel, I’m going to pack less.

12. I love the list, at lease I won’t forget anything. lol. This tips are really helpful for me. Thanks a lot.

Thank you!

13. Samantha says:

I’m going on vacation soon and these tips came it handy.

Thank you!

14. Czjai says:

I have a love-hate relationship with packing luggage, haha! It’s exciting and tiresome at the same time; unpacking, however, is a completely different story. 😀

15. Scott says:

We always use clear bags when packing. You never know what the TSA is going to ask you to remove. If it’s clear, they can approve it quicker!

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

Great tip Scott! Thank you!

16. These are great tips! I always have a checklist I keep with me, but my main problem is I always think I’m gonna need EVERYTHING. My “what-ifs” kick in, and then I pack too much LOL

17. Julie Syl says:

I love to travel in different places. One thing that I consider is packing of my family things. Packing of things is stressful, And this article will help me with my problems.Really helpful article

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

Glad you found this article helpful! Thank you!

18. I sometimes over pack but I only travel with carryons because i fly for free on standby which means my bag might get on a plane but I might not get on that plane so I like to get my stuff on my just in case.

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

I only travel with a carry on also! Just because I am afraid I will get somewhere and not have anything to wear! 🙂

19. Erinn Sluka says:

Once you travel more and more you learn to lighten up a bit. I now know the things I always pack and never use so I just leave it now

20. Rosey says:

That check list you mentioned is critical!! Even if I’m thinking of something so I won’t forget it, things get left behind without a list!

21. kristal says:

I alway have to remember the less is more when travelling. I just want to be prepared but I do not need my whole closet.

22. I’ve gotten used to packing because of the trips that I go to with my husband. We just love to travel. I learned that planning your outfits definitely helps! These are great tips!

Thank you!

23. elizabeth o says:

Gone are the days when people used to travel with endless suitcases including hat boxes. Now, we take a few coordinates, include the most essential, and proudly get on board… Less is more.

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

I know what you mean! I can remember travelling with 2 big suitcases. Now I just travel with a carry on so I make sure I have my clothes when I get to where I am going.

24. Ronnie says:

The check-list is vital!!! I make one two weeks before my flight because I always end up adding a few extra things to it. Love the printable you linked to – thanks for that! I’ll start using it.

Thank you!

25. Rebecca Swenor says:

This is a great post on tips for packing and carrying when traveling. In the Army we learned how to be good packers and it did include rolling the clothes because you can fit so much more into your bag or suitcase. Thanks for sharing the tips.

1. lesli.snow@gmail.com says:

Thank you for stopping by!